Friday, February 1, 2013

28 1/2 B. L. Marble Chairs of the 1970's


Unknowns Identified!

The other day I was desperately trying to find some information on a mid century modern style office chair. I absolutely could not find anything on it. I finally got the wise idea to type in the patent number on the base to see if it would return any hits. Low and behold I found one similar (no arms) for sale on Craigslist.org in some other state. The guy who owned that chair thought it was an early 1960's B. L. Marble chair; so I that is what I thought mine was too. I later discovered that the Historical Society in Bedford OH (where B.L. Marble chairs were manufactured) would research the archives for you if you had questions about B. L. Marble office furniture. I submitted my chair and discovered it was really from the early 70's. I still search the net frequently hoping someone else has one of these chairs so I can compare theirs to mine so I can restore it back the way it is supposed to look.

All that said brings me to why I started this blog. I want to build a forum where these obscure pieces can be discovered and discussed by others who are seeking information about them. Also to create awareness for other people looking to collect something rarer than the usual brands.

My first post is of course the first chair I did so much research on, the B. L. Marble Company office chairs from the 1970's. I am only speculating, but I suspect there are very few left of these particular chairs. I have searched high and low and have not found anything aside what the Bedford Historical Society told me about the next two chairs I am going to share information about.

Below is what the Bedford Historical Society wrote back to me.

1970's 28 1/2 Executive Posture Chair





28 1/2 This chair was known as an Executive Posture Chair. It was produced in
the 1970s. I am attaching a photo of it from one of the catalogs (top b/w photo). In
the price guide it cost between $493-$624 depending on the covering.
Vinyl was the least expensive leather cost the most. There were three
grades of fabric in between. Back construction was cotton and polyether
over steam bent oak. Seat construction was cotton and polyether over
rubber webbing.
Just this past week a co-worker of mine was taking some stuff to the dumpster and asked me if I wanted a beat up old office chair. I was about to say no (I have enough restorations going on) when I noticed the base. It looked just like the base on my posture chair. Needless to say I brought it home and immediately contacted the  Bedford Historical Society. I posted the response below.

Update: The restoration on the 28 1/2 Marble chair is now complete.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 


Early 1970's 22 1/2 Tufted Tub Swivel
22 1/2- It was called a Tufted Tub Swivel
chair. It was priced from $404 to $478, the bronze base was an additional
$30. it was produced in the early 1970s. This one looks like leather but it 
would have had the same options as your other chair- two grades of vinyl, leather or fabric.
Note: the 1/2 after the model number refers to a chair that swivels.
What most impresses me about these chairs is the use of wood, fabric, and springs even though they were made in the 1970's. I only found one piece of plastic on them and that is in the base where the shaft fits into it.
As far as collectible furniture they are off the radar. There doesn't seem to be a following for them (yet) aside me who has become a fan. If you have a 1970's Marble chair the only way you will be able to identify it will be by the base. Look very closely at the bases here; they are fairly distinctive. Typically there are no other identifiers unless you strip the upholstery and see a model number stamped in red on the wood frame. That isn't to say that there may be a real minty one out there with a label still glued onto it. If anyone out there has one of these please chime in. Lets have a count of how may are left and compare notes.
Resources:
http://www.bedfordohiohistory.org/build/marble.php
KLH

1 comment: