Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Horsnæs Chair Knock Off

I came across an unusual lounge chair with no makers mark on it with the exception of "Made in Italy" on the front inside lip of the seat. I liked it because of the unusual cut out in the back quarter of the chair. I researched everywhere and found a few just like it but could not find out the maker.
My Italian made lounge chair after restoration
I did a lot of looking around on ebay and discovered that there is also a rocking chair version.
I have found them on FB and also in other ebay adds and even contacted the owners to see if they knew who made these chairs but no one seems to know.
I finally discovered a restoration of a chair very similar on this blog site:http://www.modernchairrestoration.com/2012/02/teak-horsnaes-chair-by-s-a-andersen-denmark/
I am fairly certain that that the company that made my chair most certainly was copying this design. I read somewhere that American made mid century lounge chairs are usually made of beech or birch wood and then stained walnut while danish lounge chairs are usually teak or walnut (the real deal). I can only deduce that my chair is made by an American company who jobbed its manufacturing out to a company in Italy. If anyone has any information on this particular style chair please chime in!


1 comment:

  1. Kevin - I just bought this Italian chair and found your blog post about it. Your restored chair looks fantastic. Would love to hear what you did to refinish. Did you get new cushions made too? Did you have them custom made? I'm trying to figure out the most economical solution to get new cushions for my chair as the ones it came with are pretty shot. Thanks for any info you can provide!

    ReplyDelete